|Servings: 7-8||Prep time: 10 minutes||Cook time: 1 hour 30 min||Total time: 1 hour 40 min|
▢ 8 Tbsp GHEE! By Clarified Living *9 Tbsp for vegetarian option
▢ 1 LB Loaf fresh sourdough bread,cut into cubes
▢ 1 LB Sweet Italian chicken sausage, casing removed
▢ 3 Celery stalks, diced
▢ 2 Medium sweet onions, diced
▢ 1/4 Cup fresh sage leaves, chopped
▢ 2 Large eggs, beaten
▢ 2 Cups low sodium or unsalted chicken broth
▢ 1 1⁄2 Tsp chicken bouillon powder
▢ 2 Tsp salt
▢ For vegetarian option:
– Substitute diced cremini mushrooms instead of sausage
– Substitute vegetable broth instead of chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 200F and prepare large baking dish with nonstick cooking spray or rubbed oil.
- Spread bread cubes onto 1 or 2 large baking sheets. Dry them in the oven for 25 mins and transfer to large bowl. Toss with the chicken bouillon powder.
- Increase oven temperature to 400F.
- Saute sausage over medium heat. Break apart until lightly browned and cooked through,
about 10 minutes. *If using mushrooms, saute in 1 tbsp GHEE!
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add onions and celery to skillet and sprinkle with salt. Cook
until soft and translucent, about 10 minutes more.
- Add 6 Tbsp of GHEE! To the skillet, reserving 2 tbsp for later. Once the butter is melted in,
pour the mixture over the bread and toss it gently together.
- Add in the eggs and sage to the bread mixture and combine well.
- Begin adding the stock, start with 1 cup and mix well. Then add in another 1⁄2 cup and mix.
Continue to add in the broth by tablespoons until you reach a consistency that has the bread
slightly starting to meld with the other ingredients while still holding most of its structure.
- Transfer the stuffing into the prepared baking dish and dot with remaining GHEE! Cover
tightly with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Remove foil and continue to bake 10 minutes
- Remove the stuffing from the oven and let sit for 10-15 minutes before serving.